What we’re doing
We've invested in technology to protect your Opus Card account, including:
- Firewall protection to stop unauthorised access and protect the information on our systems
- Protection of your personal data using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) encryption
- Double-clicking the yellow padlock at the bottom-right of the browser window when you move to secure pages (https) allows you to view the security certificate, which confirms you are on a trusted, secure site
- Our dedicated security teams also analyse and monitor transactions, 24 hours a day. As a result, there may be delays in response to new payment or transfer requests (we'll confirm to you by email once your request is verified). If we do spot something suspicious we’ll be in touch straight away – it will always be someone from Opus that contacts you to discuss your account.
What you can do
We're doing everything we can to keep you safe online, but there are plenty of things you can do to protect yourself as well.
- Keep your computer safe by installing anti-virus software, consider installing a personal firewall, take steps to avoid spy-ware, regularly check for browser updates
- Check your statements carefully and tell us about any transactions you suspect might be fraudulent
- Do not respond to emails that ask you for your account details, even if they appear to be from Opus
- Tell us about any emails you find suspicious straight away
- Remember also to keep your PIN safe at all times, and to dispose of your statements in a secure manner.
You should also keep your Card Security Code safe. Your Security Code is the three digit number on the reverse of your Opus card. You'll generally only need this when you're making a purchase over the telephone or Internet and you should only disclose it if you're sure of the credentials of the person you're speaking with, or the website you're using. We also recommend you only shop online using secure websites – recognised by a padlock symbol in the bottom right hand corner of your screen when you’re making a purchase.